Santa Barbara is a great place to live, but even here, problems can come up. That’s why I do Counseling in Santa Barbara!
I sometimes read that people don’t see why they should pay a therapist to listen to their problems. They say they can just talk to their friends and family members if they have a problem. What’s important to remember is that there are many very good reasons for going to a therapist.
Here are the top 10 that come to my mind:
- Therapists have specialized training, education, and experience to better understand the dynamics of human behavior, and how to help in problem situations.
- They are able to facilitate fine-tuning of your goals, and help you develop priorities and a plan to reach them.
- You won’t feel the need to “protect” them, like you might loved ones.
- You won’t have to worry about being judged. Therapists are there to help, not judge.
- They aren’t part of your day-to-day life, so they have the distance and perspective to see the whole picture. They won’t be pulled by conflicting loyalties.
- They can assist you in seeing patterns of behavior (choices) — “Connect the dots.”
- They won’t require “equal time” — focus stays on you and your concerns.
- The therapeutic relationship, and the office, provide a “container” for strong emotions.
- They can teach you to reframe, or refocus, and look for the positives rather than the negatives in yourself. They help you learn how to use your strengths to make changes.
- They become active partners with you in following your own process to increased well-being, rather than creating “quick fixes” that only cover up the deeper issues.
Therapists are not there just “to listen.” They are there to interact with you in a special way, to help you lean how to solve not only the immediate problem that you’re dealing with, but also to help you figure out how to have a much more peaceful, satisfying, and joyful life going forward. If you have any thoughts or questions about this, please feel free to call me at 805 569-0264.
Until next time,
* This photo is of the area in front of my office. It’s a beautiful place to work